Introduction to the Department
At Dalriada Business Studies is a dynamic course which prepares students for the challenges of the 21st Century by introducing them to the world of business. It emphasises the ever-changing character of business, the diverse nature of business enterprise and the interdependence of the various parts of the business world. Although an academic subject, Business Studies is practical, applied and exciting. It equips pupils with many life skills such as communication, problem solving, time management, team work and decision making. Whether your aim is to pursue an academic career, train for a profession or become an entrepreneur the necessary knowledge and skills will be provided.
- To maintain and/or stimulate pupil curiosity, interest and enjoyment in Business Studies.
- To enable pupils to be familiar with a body of business and economic knowledge, principles, skills and vocabulary.
- To enable pupils to see Business Studies in the context of a wider body of knowledge and skills.
- To enable pupils to understand and use investigative methods.
- To enable pupils to develop a range of desirable personal qualities such as politeness, perseverance, initiative and independence.
- To enable pupils to be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- To employ teaching methods and resources that allow all pupils (irrespective of their gender, ethnic origin, academic ability, etc.) to have equal access to Business Studies and to experience success and enjoyment in their Business Studies work.
- To develop an awareness in pupils of the implications of business and industry (past and present) for the individual, the community and the environment.
- Mrs LJ Parkhill (Head of Dept)
- Mrs L McShane
- Mrs C Kelly