Unit 1: The Study of Prose (25%)
I hour Closed Book External Examination
- One from a choice of two questions on To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
Unit 2: The Study of Drama and Poetry (50%)
2 hour Open Book External Examination
- One from a choice of two questions on An Inspector Calls (20%)
- One from a choice of two questions on poems on the themes of ‘War and Nature’ (20%)
- Response to one unseen poem (10%)
Listen to readings of the poems in the Nature and War Poetry Anthology by clicking here!
Unit 3: The Study of Linked Texts (25%)
2 hour 30 minute Controlled Assessment
- Compare and contrast the presentation of themes, characters and/or settings in Macbeth and one other text.
Below is a brief overview of the course; however, you will find additional information, support materials and past papers on the CCEA website – just click here.
Although all the essential information about GCSE English and English Literature will be covered in class, some pupils find it useful to use other sources as well.
Study notes on ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’, ‘An Inspector Calls’, ‘Macbeth’ and most of the poems in the Anthology are available to buy online. CCEA also has some relevant notes on its GCSE Microsite, which you can visit by clicking here.
There are also commercially produced guidance notes and practice materials available for GCSE English but please note that those created for Exam Boards other that CCEA may not cover the full CCEA course and may contain irrelevant information.